The West Virginia Department of Agriculture’s Food Distribution Program provides economic support to West Virginia school-age children and to those in need through distribution of USDA Commodity Foods. USDA Foods help support American farmers, helping keep local agriculture strong and stimulating economy. USDA Foods are 100% American grown and meet the highest safety and nutrition standards. Ongoing updates are made to ensure that all USDA foods meet the dietary guidelines for Americans, including reduced levels of fats, sodium, and sugars.

As the USDA Commodity Foods Distribution Center for West Virginia, we are responsible for receipt, storage, and statewide distribution and delivery of USDA Foods as well as administrative management and oversight. Throughout the School Year, the center receives an average of 6,500 cases of USDA Foods weekly. We deliver an average of 250,000 cases annually, with a value of over $7 million. Commodity foods are delivered to all 55 county school systems, two food banks who serve approximately 400 food pantries, and more than 100 other agencies across West Virginia.

To contact the Food Distribution Program call 304-558-0573.


The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) is a federal program that helps supplement the diets of low-income Americans, including elderly people, by providing them with emergency food assistance at no cost. Through TEFAP, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) purchases a variety of nutritious, high-quality USDA Foods, and makes those foods available to state distributing agencies. TEFAP is available in all 55 counties in West Virginia.

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) works to improve the health of low-income persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Foods. Currently West Virginia is distributing 10,000 boxes to low-income seniors within our state. Each month these boxes include items from each of these categories:

  • Fruits and Juice
  • Vegetables
  • Cheese
  • Milk
  • Meat, Poultry, Fish
  • Plant-Based Protein
  • Cereals
  • Pasta and Rice


If you are a resident of Boone, Cabell, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, McDowell, Mingo, Putnam, Wayne or Wyoming county and you would like more information about TEFAP and CSFP please contact Facing Hunger Food Bank at 304-523-6029, or visit

If you are a resident of Braxton, Calhoun, Fayette, Gilmer, Grant, Hampshire, Hancock, Hardy, Harrison, Lewis, Marion, Mercer, Monongalia, Monroe, Nicholas, Ohio, Pendleton, Pleasants, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Randolph, Roane, Tucker, Tyler, Upshur, Wetzel, or Wood county and would like more information about TEFAP or CSFP please contact Mountaineer Food Bank at 304-364-5518, or visit

Currently only  TEFAP is available in Barbour, Berkeley, Brooke, Clay, Doddridge, Greenbrier, Jefferson, Marshall, Mineral, Morgan, Preston, Ritchie, Summers, Taylor, Webster, or Wirt county. If you would like more information about the closest pantry to your residence, please contact Mountaineer Food Bank

You can reach our TEFAP and CSFP Coordinator Kate Hill at 304-558-0573 for any other questions.

Civil Rights

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible State or local Agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: :, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.